Write a Novel and Get it Published
How to generate great ideas, write compelling fiction and secure publication
By Stephen May and Nigel Watts
YOUR COMPLETE GUIDE TO WRITING A NOVEL YOU'RE PROUD OF - AND GETTING IT PUBLISHED.
A comprehensive and smart guide which gives practical help in drafting and perfecting a novel and getting it all the way to publication - from someone who has done it.
LEARN HOW TO WRITE A NOVEL AND RELEASE IT INTO THE WORLD
There is a saying that 'everyone has a book in them'. But not many people are able to get it out. This practical and inspiring guide will help guide you through every step of the process, including:
- First thoughts - Why do you want to write, and how can you do it?
- Genres - Understanding the conventions of writing
- Generating ideas - Find a concept that makes your book stand out
- Structure - Create a compelling story arc
- Character - What you need to bring your characters to life
- Dialogue - How to write snappy and suitable direct speech
- Setting - Understand the role of place and time
- Drafting - How to get your work on the page, chapter after chapter
- Redrafting - How to assess your writing (or get it assessed) and improve it
- Submission - Agents, publishers, and how to approach them
- Publication - Working with your publisher to make your book a success
ABOUT THE SERIES
The Teach Yourself Creative Writing series helps aspiring authors tell their story. Covering a range of genres from science fiction and romantic novels, to illustrated children's books and comedy, this series is packed with advice, exercises and tips for unlocking creativity and improving your writing. And because we know how daunting the blank page can be, we set up the Just Write online community at tyjustwrite, for budding authors and successful writers to connect and share.
Nigel Watts held a PhD in Creative and Critical Writing. He taught Creative Writing from 1989, the year in which he published his first award-winning novel, 'The Life Game'.
Stephen May's (West Yorkshire, England) latest book, 'Life, Death, Prizes!', was published by Bloomsbury in March 2012 and has been nominated for Best Novel at the Costa Book Awards 2012. His first novel, Tag, was longlisted for Welsh Book of the year. His creative writing workshops, at venues across the country, are in huge demand.
- Other details
- Publication date:
30 Nov 2012
- Page count: